What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded onto your computer or device from websites. They are tools that play a vital role in the provision of numerous information society services. Among other things, cookies enable a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or device and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognise the user and improve the service provided.
Types of cookies
Depending on the entity that manages the domain that sends the cookies and processes the data obtained, cookies can be grouped into two types:
- First-party cookies: these are sent to the user’s device from a device or domain managed by the editor and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: these are sent to the user’s device from a device or domain that is not managed by the editor but rather by another entity that processes the data obtained from the cookies.
Cookies that are installed from a device or domain managed by the editor but whose information is collected and managed by a third party cannot be considered to be first-party cookies.
Cookies are also classified by the length of time they are stored on the customer’s browser, and include the following:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user is browsing a website. They tend to be used to store information that only needs to be retained for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: these data stay on the device and can be accessed and processed by the manager of the cookie for an indefinite period of time, ranging from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, another classification includes five types of cookie grouped according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
- Technical cookies: these enable the user to browse a website, platform or application and use the various options or services provided therein such as, for example, monitoring the traffic and communication of data, identifying the session, accessing parts that have restricted access, remembering the constituent parts of an order, completing the purchasing process of an order, applying to register or take part in an event, using security features while browsing, storing content to broadcast videos or sound, or sharing content via social media.
- Personalisation cookies: these enable the user to access the service with certain predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria on the user’s device such as language, the type of browser being used to access the service, the regional settings from where the service is being accessed, etc.
- Analysis cookies: these enable the manager of the cookies to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which the cookies are linked. The information collected from this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of websites, applications or platforms and to develop browser profiles for the users of said websites, applications or platforms, in order to make improvements based on the analysis of usage data provided by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: these enable the most effective possible management of advertising spaces.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: these store information about user behaviour obtained by persistently observing browsing habits. From this information, a specific profile is developed in order to show targeted advertisements.
Disabling and deleting cookies
You can authorise, block or delete the cookies installed on your device by configuring the options of the browser installed on your device. By disabling cookies, some of the available services may cease to function. How cookies are disabled varies from browser to browser but they are normally disabled from the Tools or Options menu. You can also refer to your browser’s Help menu for instructions. The user may, at any time, choose which cookies they want to work on this website.
You can authorise, block or delete the cookies installed on your device by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
Cookie storage on you browser can also be managed using tools such as:
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/es/
Which cookies do we use on our website?
The cookies used on the website https://www.skal.org are as follows:
|_ga||Analytical||Third-party||To distinguish users. For more information, please see: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage||2 years|
|_gat||Analytical||Third-party||To limit the percentage of requests. For more information, please see: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage||1 minute|
|_gid||Analytical||Third-party||To distinguish users. For more information, please see: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage||24 hours|
|frontend_lang||Personalisation||First-party||SKÅL||To save the choice of language on the website.||1 month|
|session_id||Technical||First-party||SKÅL||User session.||1 month|
Acceptance of the Cookies policy
Having acknowledged this information, you may perform one of the following actions:
- Accept cookies: This notice will not be displayed again on any page of the website during the same session.
- Close: The notice on the current page will be hidden.
- Adjust your settings: You can obtain more information about what cookies are, view the Asociación Internacional de Skal Clubes – A.I.S.C. - Skal International Cookies policy and adjust your browser’s settings.